Date: 3/13/17 3:15 pm
From: Russ Namitz <namitzr...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Scaup species along Columbia River

I guess I should have clarified that the species didn't surprise as much as the size of the flock, 800 birds. Looking on eBird along the Columbia River in Oregon, this number seems to stand out.

Russs

Sent: Monday, March 13, 2017 3:11 PM
To: Russ Namitz
Subject: Re: [obol] Scaup species along Columbia River

I think thatís normal in that area and sometimes elsewhere. Kirk Pond below FR dam gets wads of Greaters.

On Mar 13, 2017, at 3:09 PM, Russ Namitz <namitzr...><mailto:<namitzr...>> wrote:

I have always assumed that large rafts of Scaup sp. along rivers in Oregon were almost entirely LESSER SCAUP (e.g. Scaup flock off Marine Drive at PDX airport, Dean Creek Wildlife Area east of Reedsport) and I have confirmed that first-hand while stopping to scan through these flocks. As I was driving along the Columbia River around the Biggs area in Sherman County yesterday, I assumed the large raft was also predominately Lesser Scaup, but in fact, when I scoped the flock, I estimated 80% of the 1000 birds were GREATER SCAUP. Perhaps this is not news to old time Oregon birders, but I was surprised.

Good birding,
Russ Namitz

Join us on Facebook!