Date: 3/13/17 2:58 pm
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
Despite temperature readings in the high 30s and low 40s, it seemed bitterly cold as we set off for today's Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk.  We identified 49 species, with huge flocks of Common Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, and Rusty Blackbirds getting the most attention. We were delighted with the antics of Kinglets in trees at eye level, and the interesting diversity of water fowl, even though the individual counts of each were somewhat small.  Birders interested in joining us are reminded that starting with next week's walk (March 20), we will be adopting our summer hours, begining at 7AM.
Canada Goose  11
Wood Duck  17
Mallard  4
Northern Shoveler  6
Green-winged Teal  2
Bufflehead  2
Hooded Merganser  7
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Great Blue Heron  3
Cooper's Hawk  1
Accipiter sp.  1
Bald Eagle  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk  1
American Coot  9
Ring-billed Gull  6
Mourning Dove  4
Red-headed Woodpecker  4
Red-bellied Woodpecker  9
Downy Woodpecker  7
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Eastern Phoebe  2
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  4
Fish Crow  1
crow sp.  1
Tree Swallow  4
Carolina Chickadee  9
Tufted Titmouse  7
White-breasted Nuthatch  4
Brown Creeper  1
Carolina Wren  7
Golden-crowned Kinglet  6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  10
Hermit Thrush  1
American Robin  70
Fox Sparrow  3
White-throated Sparrow  35
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  4
Eastern Towhee  4
Northern Cardinal  12
Red-winged Blackbird  500
Rusty Blackbird  100
Common Grackle  1300
Brown-headed Cowbird  1
American Goldfinch  2

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 7AM (8AM from November through March), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry GlasgowFriends of Huntley Meadows Park