Date: 3/13/17 2:46 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Allen's Hummers in OR
I was checking eBird and noticed a few Allen's sightings in Coos Bay
lately, probably because of my recent postings of the bird at my casa (a
real rarity, my first verified one meaning one that stayed around and
displayed). Allen's nest north as far as about New River on a regular
basis, further north of that they are a rarity although they are often
reported from Bandon which I think is hybrid country. Hybrids are fairly
common at New River and north to Bandon and sometimes to Coos Bay. I am
speaking males here- good luck on female ID unless you can study tail
feathers. So when looking for Allen's you need to find a bird with a pretty
green back; most green-backed males I see have less than 50% green and are
likely hybrids (although a small percent could be Rufous). I suspect most
are hybrids though because when I see them display they usually do an
Allen's type pendulum before their J. And yes if you do find a very
green-backed individual make sure you also get to see a display to make
sure on ID. Of course one could go down to Gold Beach or Brookings but be
wary for migrant Rufous. The short of it is that if you get a quick look at
a Selasphorus hummer on the south coast you should put it as Rufous/Allen's
on eBird. Arch McCallum recorded hybrid wing sounds at New River and around
Langlois. Full extent of the hybrid zone south is an unknown. Arch recorded
good Allen's in Brookings though. Not sure what is happening north of
there? Gold Beach would be a good place to look for Allen's though I
suspect.

Also if you want to find Allens from NOW until mid-May is best time, while
males are still displaying. By late May and June the males are oughta here
and the females and young are on the move so all Selasphorus after about 1
June should be Rufous/Allen's sp. (unless you happen to find an obvious
Allen's lingering of course). Just because you are in Brookings in June
doesn't mean that a female Selasphorus is an Allen's. Every year I get
calls from visiting birders in June asking me for good spots to look for
Allen's- too late I say!

I base all this info from spending 15 years doing point counts at New River
and viewing literal a thousand or more male Selasphorus. Oh, if you find
their perch viewing adult males can be easier with a spotting scope, it
just takes time to get good looks...

Out of range green-backed males Selasphorus in Western OR could be Rufous
too- once again, look for a display to be more sure.

Happy hummingbirding!
Tim R
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!