Date: 3/13/17 1:26 pm
From: <jacksonwrxt89...>
Subject: [NHBirds] CT River Waterfowl, GGOW & More
Yesterday I took a quick trip to Charlestown in hopes of snapping my three year drought of seeing a Snow Goose. I saw it was reported earlier in the day near Lower Meadows (fields around Route 12 Auto Sales) so that's where I started. The wind and cold seemed to have driven all the geese into the Connecticut River behind the Lower Meadow area. Although the weather was far from ideal, the partially frozen river had concentrated all the surrounding waterfowl into just a few areas of open water. I was successful in locating the goose and saw a nice array of waterfowl as well:

SNOW GOOSE 1
Canada Goose ~2500: Estimate of geese from the Lower Meadows area and up the river about a half mile.
AMERICAN WIGEON 1: At least one picked out in the distant group of ducks. Male.
American Black Duck ~50
Mallard ~120
NORTHERN PINTAIL 1: At least one. Male.
GREEN-WINGED TEAL 1: FOY. Female.
Ring-necked Duck 6: All males.
BUFFLEHEAD: Male.
Hooded Merganser 3
Common Merganser 1

While I wasn't able to find the GREAT GRAY OWL in Newport this morning before I had to go to work, I was happy to see it was tracked down in Haserlat Park off Corbin Road just north of the airport runway. Thank you Ken Klapper for getting the word out for everyone. I did get a chance to stop by and see it for a little while after work today while it was snoozing away on the branch of a pine. Photos from today and the past few days have been added to my ongoing album:
https://flickr.com/photos/103784740@N03/sets/72157677399527574

On a final note, my friend Joe Bourget has set up a Facebook page for rare birds in New Hampshire. It's meant to mirror the Massachusetts version and is called New Hampshire Rare Bird Alerts. The page was intended to create another source for people to get the latest reports of rare species of birds in the state. The following is a link to this page:
https://m.facebook.com/groups/397619790603181?tsid=0.4691980965822228&source=typeahead

Please read the group description Joe has posted. It's not meant photo sharing or discussions. However, the Bird Watchers of New Hampshire page is more appropriate for posting photos, discussions, questions etc. The following is the link to that page:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=548285791901965&tsid=0.7152897655424189&source=typeahead

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee

Sent from my iPhone