Date: 3/13/17 12:22 pm
From: Mitchell Pruitt <0000000b4ac30a99-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Birding Kingsland Prairie Natural Area (Henslow's Sparrows)
David Oakley, Jacque Brown, and I left the northwest corner of the state to spend time at Kingsland Prairie, in Cleveland County, yesterday. The goal, of course, was Henslow’s Sparrow. It didn’t take long to flush 3 (on the left side of the gate), which we pursued for about 45 minutes, finding a 4th and 5th during that time. One eventually decided to give us shaded views after landing among the needles of a short pine, before moving to the sunny leaves of an ever-brown post oak nearby. Later, to the right of the gate, we flushed a 6th Henslow’s; this one landing in a sparse, young pine providing GREAT views and photographic opportunities.

Other notables were Brown-headed Nuthatches, Pine Warblers, and a Common Yellowthroat. Thanks to those who came before us for setting us up for success at Kingsland Prairie! Until yesterday, I had only seen one Henslow’s Sparrow ever; a bird that a group of us happened upon at Woolsey Wet Prairie in October of 2011.

For photos of the sparrow, visit: https://mitchell-pruitt.squarespace.com/localbirds <https://mitchell-pruitt.squarespace.com/localbirds>

Stay tuned for more photos from yesterday...

Enjoy!
Mitchell Pruitt

Join us on Facebook!