Date: 3/13/17 10:09 am
From: Fred Shaffer <glaucousgull...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Four Trumpeter Swans at Schoolhouse Pond
There are four probable Trumpeter Swans at Schoolhouse Pond.  The birds were not present during my morning walk, but were easily visible at lunchtime, feeding towards the rear of the pond.  At least with binoculars and some of my better camera shots, the birds look good for Trumpeters, with no yellow on the bill, massive long and sloping bills, and the feathers coming to a point on the forehead.  While I probably can't rule out "trumplings" completely (there's one swan that looked a little smaller), I think the swans look good for Trumpeters and I'll upload my photos to eBird this evening.  The birds did not have visible wing tags and I couldn't tell if they were banded. I had known that waterfowl was moving, as I had 4 Hooded Mergansers and 4 Green-winged Teal during my walk this morning.  Good birding!
Fred <ShafferGlaucousGull...>, MD