Date: 3/13/17 8:26 am
From: Elizabeth F. Shores <efshores...>
Subject: Re: Yard questions
It is a very good question. I have experimented for several years with Southern Indica azaleas as an evergreen filler beneath the oaks and hickories that surround our house. The azaleas are not food sources for many species of wildlife (bumblebees, maybe) but they do provide cover and are not invasive. Plus, they are culturally appropriate for a Southern yard! I was careful to select Indicas with single, not double, blossoms so pollinators can use them. Most of mine are G. G. Gerbing. I feed them after the spring bloom to offset the alkaline conditions and give them a small but regular watering in the summer but otherwise do nothing to maintain them. We left plenty of room around the azaleas for a wide variety of native trees, shrubs, and perennials, all of them deciduous or ephemeral, but thanks to the azaleas our property doesn’t look bare and neglected in the winter.

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 10:06 AM, jonathanperry24 <jonathanperry24...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> This is for bird-ers, plant-ers, and animal-ers alike. We live in a neighborhood in eastern Fayetteville which is well-treed and well-lawned. This time of year, we frequently see trucks from one or another of the various lawn maintenance companies, as well as many of our DIY neighbors fertilizing and spreading other stuff on their lawns. The result in the summer is a lot of very green and carefully mowed carpets. We've resisted, with the result that our front and back yards are largely pretty bare ground. We would like some advice on "in-between" choices which are relatively low-maintenance and benign/supportive of birds and other animals (and plants). We're trying to find out more about micro-clover as an alternative to lawn grasses. Thoughts?
>

> Jonathan Perry, Ph.D.
> Licensed Psychologist
> Fayetteville, Arkansas

Elizabeth Findley Shores