Date: 3/13/17 8:14 am
From: <mcbobaz...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Oak Flats campground - Black-chinned Sparrows
I scouted Oak Flats Campground and vicinity for the up-comming Sonoran Audubon Field trip here April 8th.

It is really green and wet. The birding was a little difficult picking birds out of the 20' tall Oak trees.
The Protect Oak Flats folks are still camping here so stop in and say Hi!

Highlights at the campground were lots of singing LUCY'S WARBLERS and a singing VERMILLION FLYCATCHER.
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS were the most common bird and most of these were singing.

From Magma Mine Road I headed south past the operating drilling rigs (conviently located next to the ponds) toward the lower Devil's Canyon trailhead.
A mile in, the dirt road turns rough but any car can make it as evidenced by all of the folks hiking into Devil's Creek for a swim. Here the hills are covered with Hoodoos and scrub oak. Singing BLACK-CHINNED SPARROWS were spaced about every 100' as I walked down a rough jeep trail I had 8 in a short distance. BLACK_THROATED SPARROWS were also common. ROCK WRENS, CACTUS WRENS, BEWICK"S WRENS, and CANYON WRENS were present in large numbers. Nothing says Arizona like the call of the Canyon Wren a wonderful descending DE, DE, De, De, de, followed by wank!

Bob McCormick
Sonoran Audubon