Date: 3/13/17 6:25 am
From: Marc Ribaudo <moribaudo...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Dyke Marsh, March 12
I guess the combination of the time change and cold forecast kept people in bed Sunday morning, as no one showed up for the weekly walk at Dyke Marsh in Alexandria, sponsored by the Friends of Dyke Marsh.  Larry Cartwright happened to be doing his weekly survey so I joined him and had an enjoyable walk.  Highlights were the pair of ospreys at the nest in the marina, all three merganser species, a merlin strafing sparrows on the ground in the picnic area, 3 yellow-rumped warblers, singing fox sparrow, and winter wren.  The walk is held Sundays at 8am and is open to all.  The complete list is below.

Marc Ribaudo

Dyke Marsh Wildlife Preserve, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Mar 12, 2017 7:44 AM - 10:23 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.6 mile(s)
47 species

Canada Goose 4
American Black Duck 2
Mallard 60
Greater Scaup 4
Lesser Scaup 200
Bufflehead 2
Hooded Merganser 2
Common Merganser 10
Red-breasted Merganser 1
Pied-billed Grebe 4
Horned Grebe 3
Double-crested Cormorant 40
Great Blue Heron 5
Osprey 2
Bald Eagle 3
Ring-billed Gull 100
Herring Gull 20
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 2
Mourning Dove 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 4
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Merlin 1
Blue Jay 6
American Crow 4
Fish Crow 2
Carolina Chickadee 8
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Brown Creeper 1
Winter Wren 2
Carolina Wren 5
American Robin 60
European Starling 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 3
Fox Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 4
White-throated Sparrow 30
Song Sparrow 25
Swamp Sparrow 3
Northern Cardinal 10
Red-winged Blackbird 18
Rusty Blackbird 1
Common Grackle 1
House Finch 4
American Goldfinch 3
House Sparrow 2

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid