Date: 3/13/17 1:53 am
From: Dan Larson <0000008df5d69958-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Baker Wetlands Survey
Roger Boyd, Scott Kimball, Kylee Sharp, Scott Eikenberry, and Dan Larson surveyed Baker Wetlands, Lawrence, Kansas on Sunday, March 12, 2017. It was a cold morning staying near freezing the entire morning as we recorded 70 species.
There were many ducks and geese as you can see below. There were four shorebird species with Killdeer, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, and a Long-billed Dowitcher.
One realizes what these creatures must go through as we saw the Great Horned Owl on its nest with snow and frost on its back. We recorded four Tree Swallows and an Eastern Phoebe. The Eastern Phoebe came out from under the Wakarusa River bridge. There were a large number of Song Sparrows. We saw them all along the way in appropriate habitat.
WaterbirdsGreater White-fronted Goose 5Canada Goose 46Wood Duck 4Gadwall 592American Wigeon 71Mallard 52Blue-winged Teal 74Northern Shoveler 152Northern Pintail 5Green-winged Teal 54Canvasback 1Redhead 396Ring-necked Duck 135Lesser Scaup 42Bufflehead 17Hooded Merganser 7Ruddy Duck 5Pied Billed Grebe 2Great Blue Heron 4American Coot 125Killdeer 15Long-billed Dowitcher 1Greater Yellowlegs 18Lesser Yellowlegs 2Ring-billed Gull 713
The complete list is at the site below .

ThanksDan LarsonBerryton Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to
mailto:<ksbird-l-request...>