Date: 3/12/17 8:35 pm
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Tubac Hawk Watch 03/12/17

Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ March 12, 2017
8:00am - 3:30pm

The push to the peak made major progress today.

The day started with a Northern Harrier followed by a small Turkey Vulture liftoff. At 9:07 the first Black Hawk was up. Then another…..
Soon we were tracking 10 Black Hawks in the sky. Groups of 3 and 4 approached from the far south. Some flew directly overhead and the
whir of cameras replaced the crowd’s chatter. By 10 we were at 22. They kept coming until just after 11. We tallied the 32nd Black Hawk at 1:50.

A small kettle of a Black Hawk, Zoned-tailed hawk, and two Turkey Vultures drifted over north and then south and north again and again
becoming a dynamic raptor field guide in the sky.

Golden Eagles of all ages flew by high and low.

We heard soft, distant Gray Hawk whistles but none graced our piece of sky.

A now local Swainson’s Hawk joined the fray.

Caravans continued to arrive from the east (Sierra Vista) and birding bikers brought their own seats on wheels.
A good crowd of 50+ melted away as the Black Hawks slowed and the sun began to scorch.

Including local Cooper’s Hawks and Black Vulture 13 species of raptors today.

Migrating Raptors:
Common Black Hawk 32
Turkey Vulture 73
Zone-tailed Hawk 3