Date: 3/12/17 6:52 pm
From: Mary Garrard <springazure1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: [birding] Finley Brant
I had a lovely morning at Finley, but too early for the Brant. I was at Turtle Flats when a huge gaggle of Cackling Geese flew over towards Bruce Road right around noon and I bet the Brant was among them.

My best bird of the day was a gorgeous Rough-legged Hawk where Finley Road turns south just before the Prairie Overlook. I don’t think I’d ever seen a prettier one. it was hanging out at that corner for a while but I think it got tired of all the people stopping to gawk including me…..I didn’t have my camera, more's the pity.

There were a lot of singing Western Meadowlarks and a few singing Purple Finches scattered throughout the refuge. American Coots were engaging either in amorous or antagonistic behavior at the Scrape on Bruce Road, I couldn’t tell. Altogether a sweet spring morning.

Mary

“Tweet others as you would want to be tweeted.” Sign at Portland Women’s March via Kelley Kendall.