Date: 3/12/17 6:49 pm
From: Jeff Smith <mrqmagoo13...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Pairs of Big White Birds in Putnam and La Salle
With predictions of low wind I decided to check the Hennepin area for waterfowl today. Most times I visit the area the wind picks up making viewing difficult from the tower at the Dixon Waterfowl Refuge. Today the weatherman was right. Birding the back roads, the first birds I see in Putnam were a pair of Whooping Cranes feeding in corn stubble. That began the quest for big white birds. At the Refuge there was a pair of Mute Swans and a pair of Trumpeter Swans among several thousand ducks and geese. While on the seep trail I flushed an American Woodcock and a Wilson's Snipe. A Groundhog came out of his burrow, did not see his shadow but did see me and went back in. I think that means one more week of winter. Along the river were two American White Pelicans which added to today's theme. I then headed to the La Salle Lake area to see if the Snowy Owls were still around. Two previous visits this winter produced a single bird but were different birds. Today I found a male right off the bat. Since the other big white birds came in pairs I had to find another Snowy to keep up. A mile away was a second bird this time a female or immature. After a few celebratory photos I headed for home. But after a mile or so a third Snowy was perched on a telephone pole messing up my theme. But I won't complain.

Jeff Smith
Woodridge, DuPage Co.

Sent from my iPad

Posted by: Jeff Smith <mrqmagoo13...>