Date: 3/12/17 5:52 pm From: <brian...> Subject: Lake Crabtree/Brier Creek
Dusted off the optics today for some snowy birding at Lake Crabtree and Brier Creek areas (Wake Co., NC). Very birdy. Beautiful day.
Highlights from 58 species -
• FIVE immature Bald Eagles playing around over the boat rental area. (this was a repeat performance from last month)
• For sheer numbers, 500 + Ring-billed Gulls and 300+ DC Cormorant
• On first look, Brier Creek Resv. had some Greater Scaup, then the usual Lesser flock of about 50-75 flew overhead at Lake Crabtree and I found them later on 2nd visit to Brier Creek Resv. , a behavior they exhibit when people kayak or paddle board near the Crabtree dam.
• other Waterfowl = Green-winged Teal, Shoveler, Ring-necked, Mallard, Amer. Widgeon, PB Grebe, Bufflehead, Hoodies and Ruddies
• Rusty Blackbirds at Brierdale marshes behind EarthFare.
• Ruby-crowned Kinglets singing
• Did I mention it was snowing?