Date: 3/12/17 4:28 pm
From: Andrew Bankert <abankert2007...>
Subject: [cobirds] They Won't Take Us Dancing, So We Went Birding
To try to forget about the basketball game last night, some members of the
Colorado State Field Ornithologists went out birding at Timnath Reservoir
(Larimer County) today. Although mother nature's wind defense kept our
eBird list (26) from passing Gian Clavell's point total last night (30), we
found a few good birds including three Greater White-fronted Geese, an
early Franklin's Gull, and a weird looking first-cycle Mew Gull. All of
these birds were seen from the peninsula on the north side of the
reservoir. The Mew Gull may have looked weird (it seemed closer to
juvenile plumage than I would expect at this time of year, but the photos
seem to show the mantle different than what I thought I saw) because the
wind did not allow us to get stable views. Unlike the Franklin's Gull, the
Mew Gull was seen before the wind knocked my scope over into the mud.
Overall, Timnath is very full of water and didn't have many waterfowl. The
best duck diversity was along the north shore, and we were surprised to
only see one Common Goldeneye (who flew a couple of laps around the
reservoir).

Good Birding!
Andy Bankert
Fort Collins, CO