Date: 3/12/17 3:05 pm
From: Patricia Wood <pwood...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Yellow-Crowned Night Herons
I've been checking eBird for reports, and as of yesterday, the closest was South Carolina, so I didn't really expect to see one when I went for a walk in Sligo (the part SE of Colesville), and I didn't. A Pileated was a nice find tho. Anyway, today I looked at the eBird reports for any rarities seen in Montgomery County and there it was--a Yellow-Crowned Night-Heron in Sligo Creek! And a little SE of Colesville at that. Congratulations to Stephen Davies for spotting the first one. Of course I went back, but tho I saw the two Mallards that Steve's report included, no heron. Hope this really early one will be ok given the weather coming up.

Patricia Wood
Silver Spring