Date: 3/12/17 1:39 pm
From: <Vanslagerf...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Grant Ranch Bird Walk
All:

Rich Page's Grant Ranch bird walk had a raptor-ish start at the parking
lot. Two adult Bald Eagles swooped down to the road edge before flying
across the lake to perch in some trees; they changed their perches often during
the morning. We also had an immature Red-tailed Hawk, a Cooper's Hawk, a
perched White-tailed Kite in the distance (later it was diving at something
for quite a while), and a very distant Golden Eagle which we later saw from
a bit closer. Later we had a view of two Red-shouldered Hawks actually
mating.

Right at that beginning I had, for me, a first time ever view of a
tight-flock of Great Blue Herons circling low over us for a while before landing
in the tops of distant trees. The ducks on the lake were greatly reduced,
but we still had enough to keep us busy spotting. The usual sparrow flocks,
swallow flocks, bluebirds, singing thrashers and flickers were about what
you would expect. We ended with 2 Red-breasted Sapsuckers. I recorded 61
species, but I'm not sure how accurate that is for the whole group.

Frank Vanslager

Join us on Facebook!