Date: 3/12/17 12:46 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Crabtree Nature Center & Paul Douglas F.P. Sunday 3-12-17
Hello Bird People,

I had thought about making my usual Sunday visit to the Lake Calumet
area but due to time constraints a visit there would have been too
short to be worth the long drive. So Bob Erickson & I went to Crabtree
Nature Center instead. Waited a few minutes for the gate to be opened
which was done right on time. Others have reported that the Harris's
Sparrow has been hard to find lately but we were lucky in the that
HARRIS'S SPARROW gave away it's location by singing at the top of a
tree near the small pond along the sidewalk between the parking lot &
the nature center building.
About an hour later it was feeding under the feeders at the east side
entrance to the building. I have now seen this bird at all 3 feeding
stations since it's arrival in early December of 2016. Other than Mr
Harris we saw nothing special.
Here's our day list:

Crabtree Nature Center (8-10:30 a.m.)

The only open water was at the main lake & we walked the entire
Phantom Prairie & Burr Oak trails

Canada Goose (12-14)
Green Winged Teal (8-10)
Black Duck (2)
Mallard (10-12)
Gadwall (8)
Lesser Scaup (8-10)
Bufflehead (~15)
Common Merganser (18-20)
Hooded Merganser (12-14)
Cooper's Hawk (1 fly-by)
Red Tailed Hawk (1)
SANDHILL CRANE (1-PR)
Ring Billed (2) & Herring (1) Gulls
Mourning Dove (1)
Red Bellied (4), Downy (2) & Hairy (1) Woodpeckers
Crows (4 fly-bys)
Chickadee (12)
W.B. Nuthatch (3-4)
Robins (12-15)
Cardinal (2)
Tree (4) & Song (8) Sparrows
HARRIS'S SPARROW (1 singing)
Junco (6-8)
Red Winged Blackbird (~25 including a female which was the 1st I have
seen locally)
Common Grackle (8-10)
Brown Headed Cowbird (3-M)
Goldfinch (6)

We next went to Paul Douglas/Grassy Ridge but all the marsh areas were
frozen after the recent cold weather. There was 1 Great Blue Heron on
the nest platforms, sparrows were Tree (6) &
Song (2) & besides the Red Wings there were 2 singing Eastern Meadowlarks.

Only 1 special bird today so Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the Harris's
Sparrow which has added singing to it's accomplishments. Runner-Up to
the loudly calling Sandhill Cranes.

Al Stokie
In N.W. Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>