Date: 3/12/17 12:13 pm
From: Cliff Otto <bye.bye.nh.birdy...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Determining age of Great Gray Owls
There is a webpage that gives some good information on aging and variation
of Great Gray Owls. It includes comparative photographs and talks about
melanism and related things. One thing of note is:

To age them, a scope is essential. [But] If you are taking photos of
perched birds to determine age, the best photos are of the sides and the
back, showing the wingtips, secondaries, wing coverts and tail.

http://www.jeaniron.ca/GreatGrays/ At the bottom of the page is a link to
the homepage.

I thought the bird in Newport looked darker than the one I saw in Durham a
few years back.

Clifford Otto
Manchester