Date: 3/12/17 10:24 am
From: Dave Nutter <nutter.dave...>
Subject: Re: [cayugabirds-l] Downy woodpecker behavior question
I am seeing similar woodpecker behavior today. A female Downy has been clinging stock still to the top of a nearly empty suet feeder for the better part of an hour, and not even in a place where she can feed. No other birds are at our feeder area, nor that I can see around feeders next door. I see no hawks (nor crows) as I look out other windows, but I know there is a Merlin somewhere in the neighborhood, because I saw it perched atop a tree a couple blocks away as I walked home from Greenstar at quarter to twelve. I have seen a woodpecker stay motionless before as if to hide from predators, but I think perhaps this one is just resting.

Also to address your question, Sandy, I can't recall ever seeing a crow chase or attack a Downy Woodpecker.

--Dave Nutter

> On Mar 9, 2017, at 10:58 PM, Sandy Wold <sandra.wold...> wrote:
>
> I've been meaning to post this for a few months. I noticed a female downy at my feeder about six weeks ago who did not move for about 25 minutes. I was super busy that day going in and out of the kitchen, and after about two or three minutes, noted she had never moved her position. Usually, she does not stay for more than a few minutes, but this day she was so still that I could see her inner eye cover things blink over her eyes. A few times she moved her eyes to look, but stiller than still. I tried to see what it was she was looking at but saw no hawks...later, I remembered hearing American crows coming from the direction of the tree she was looking up at, and they were calling the entire time. So I am wondering if anyone has ever seen a crow go after a downy????
> --

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/