Date: 3/12/17 9:50 am
From: Tony Leukering <00000005faa06247-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [BRDBRAIN] Interesting Godwit; Merritt Island NWR, East Gator, Thurs
Hi all:

Without better pictures, I don't think that an ID of Marbled can be disputed. There is some fairly substantial sex-related size variation in godwits, particularly in the world's largest godwit species. To me, the bird's strong buffy aspect to the plumage is typical of Marbled. Yes, some Bar-taileds can approach this appearance, but the bird's apparently barred tertials (noted by Marshall Iliff) should rule that option out.

Sincerely,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Largo, FL
http://cowyebird.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tony_leukering/

http://aba.org/photoquiz/

Date: Sunday, March 12, 2017, 12:01 AM

Hey birders,
This past Thurs I had a smaller Godwit with two
Marbled. Never saw the underwing. Just loaded my
camera images on the computer tonight and I'm making out
some barring on the tail. Maybe wishful thinking but will
study images more. Some pics posted on ebird
S35077274. This bird was on Merritt Island NWR, East
Gator near where the Skimmers hang. Jim Eager joined
me later and saw bird also, maybe his pics r better.??
John Kendall on Fri also found a Godwit that he photographed
nearby and is wondering if same bird. Sorry for delay
but I didn't think I had taken any "good" photos, it was
distant.

Audrey Whitlock, Merritt Island FL & Nags Head NC

To subscribe, unsubscribe or view archives of the brdbrain
listserv list,
please visit us on the web at:
To set to no mail send a message: SET BRDBRAIN NOMAIL
<LISTSERV...>
To reinstate mail service after NOMAIL send a message: SET
BRDBRAIN MAIL to
<LISTSERV...>
please visit us on the web at:
<LISTSERV...>