Date: 3/12/17 8:57 am
From: 'Steven Mlodinow' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Park County
Greetings All

Yesterday was mostly sunny and windless in Park. I birded from Lake George to Elevenmile Res, then went along Tarryall Creek heading west from Como as well as birding Como and Jefferson

Note that Elevenmile Res is bustling with birds, but Spinney Mountain Res is closed, including entrance road (though not all frozen) - frustrating. Antero Res is now full, but access still zero. Do not be fooled. The northeastern access road had gate open and shiny new signs. It really looked ready to go, but fortunately I stopped I looked at all of the signs (about 6), and one said "area behind sign closed." Still a bit ambiguous, as it did not clearly apply to road (could easily have meant field areas) -- anyway, the southeastern access was well shut.

I don't understand the operations of the CDOW -- both in seeming random and purposeless closures (the signs at locations often differ wildly from website re: dates of access and who has access), and in poor signage (often ambiguous). I'll stop here. The attitudes and organizational skills seem far from those of WDFW (WA Dept Fish and Wildlife).

Anyway.. I suspect Antero might be open this summer, which could be very interesting, indeed. A local thought Spinney might open soon.

So, back to birding. 62 species. The rarest was likely Greater Yellowlegs, with 3 at the se. corner of Elevenmile. Early-ish Williamson's Sapsucker and Western Bluebird just s. of Lake George (lake, not town) were fun as was a N Pygmy-Owl that responded to my endless tooting (to attract chickadees, etc)

Finches were scarce (No Cassin's, few siskins, only 4 Red Crossbills, no grosbeaks), but there was Gray Jay and Am 3 Toed Woodpecker headed w. from Como along Co Rd 50 just a couple miles out of town.

Interestingly, birds came in more aggressively in response to taped calls of Goshawk than pishing and calls of N Pygmy Owl. This was true near L George and near Como. One of the Gray Jays, in <2 minutes (probably <1 minute) was doing a near-perfect imitation of the goshawk recording. That alarmed me!

Good Birding
Steve Mlodinow
Longmont CO