Date: 3/12/17 8:34 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Gulls at Goat Island (Niagara Falls) 3-11-17
Yesterday I made a trip to Goat Island in the Falls hoping to find the Black-headed x Ring-billed Gull reported by others. No luck there, but I suspect it may be around. It was a good day for expected gulls, and I was able to see the following:

Ring-billed and Herring Gulls - very many

Thayer's - 1 adult bird between Goat Island and the US shore. It was giving great views and was in the company of at least 1 adult Kumlien's Gull and at least 50 Herring Gulls. This part of the river is my favorite area for seeing the white-headed gulls in flight (making the Thayer's ID much easier)

Iceland/Kumlien's Gulls - at least 5, including 1 adult bird with very clean white wings (I couldn't see any gray makings on the primaries for what it's worth)

Lesser Black-backed Gull - at least 7

Glaucous Gull - at least 2

Greater Black-backed Gull - at least 9