Date: 3/12/17 8:07 am
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] attempt to describe the Charleston Kin Eider
Since the weather hasn't allowed close views of the King Eider at Pigeon
Point near Charleston, and no photos have surfaced for a while, I thought
I'd take a stab at a verbal description. I saw the bird late Friday
afternoon.

The body is black/brown with two white "tail lights."

The head is blocky, puffy, and turning to powder-blue, but with lots of dark
flecks still present. The near-vertical lines by the eye are beginning to
appear. The cheek is white, but blotched with dark patches. The chin,
foreneck, and collar are white. The bottom of the foreneck is marked with
an irregular black necklace.

The breast is clean creamy-yellow and puffy.

The frontal shield on the bill has not developed. The bill is medium
length, bright yellow-orange, with two "fingers" reaching up toward the
eyes.

I hope someone gets updated photos as this bird transitions its plumage.

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!