Date: 3/12/17 6:00 am
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch 03/11/17
Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ March 11, 2017
8:00am - 1:00pm

Yesterday’s Black Hawk Maginot line, bristling with the barrels of scopes and cameras, evaporated today under the onslaught of raptors.
The Corpus Christi hawk watchers were seduced by tails of Cochise County rarities and spent the day in the far east.
We replenished the line with convalescents (great to see you Ned) and youngsters (welcome Neil from Hawk Watch International).

The crowd built slowly today, but reached 40-50 shortly after 9:00. The first 2 Black Hawks were sighted south of the watch at 9:02. Again
the Black Hawks proceeded Turkey Vultures by almost an hour. A late morning Zone-tail was snagged by the hard scanning Neil.

I heard a distant Gray Hawk call but none were spotted over the park. Late visitors reported Gray Hawks flying around Arivaca Cienega so
any day now we should complete our list of monochromatic hawks.

By 11 the fierce sun drove the wise from the park. We continued searching the mostly empty skies until 1:00pm.

Migrating Raptors:

Common Black Hawk 11
Zone-tailed Hawk 1
Turkey Vulture 52
Black Vulture 3
Red-tailed Hawk 3

Locals: Sharpies, displaying Cooper’s Hawks, Kestrel