Date: 3/11/17 7:27 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (11 Mar 2017) 10 Raptors

Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 10 73 73

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors (10): Kathleen Pileggi, Stacey Gummey and group from TLC, Ruth
Gallantino, James Gallantino, Elaine Kirk, Jane Long.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (50% cloud cover), Temps 21-31F, Winds WNW 20-30 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (40) and Turkey Vultures (55).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ One snow storm down, but another BIG one, cranking
up…heading our way for Tuesday and Wednesday. What is this? Around 2
inches of snow on the ground, but the driveway is good. With wind speeds
greater than the temperature, it’s rough out here though! Still, Stacey
and her group from TLC stopped out – braving the cold. It is SO GREAT to
see the young children out enjoying the winter landscape and the wonders
within, as we did as kids. Remember? I took a walk around the perimeter
of our hawk watch meadow, as I sometimes do when no crowd is expected. The
walk yielded some interesting sightings. First there was a Phoebe, feeding
low to the ground in the wind. I worry about these early insect-eating
migrants – Phoebes and Tree swallows among them. These birds can survive
the unseasonable record low temperatures, if they can find enough to eat.
This predicted storm is going to take a toll. Next came one of our
magnificent Red Foxes – cresting a knoll, he saw me and was off like a
shot. Our paths crossed two more times though, as he tried to outsmart me
to reach where he was destined. Trust me, not that hard to outsmart me,
Mr. Fox….not that hard. Between fox sightings a Raven croaked in the
direction of the malls along Scarlet Rd. I went back up the hill a bit to
see if I could catch a glimpse. Sure enough, over the Red Clay Creek
Valley, three crows were harassing “our” Raven, each in turn swooping down
upon its back. Surprisingly, ten folks came out and sat with me on this
horribly cold, windy day. I’m not the only crazy one…
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Eastern Phoebe, 1-COMMON RAVEN,
8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (1): Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.96; Steps: 11,645; Floors:
60.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 39; this season: 54
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks windy and cold...what's new?
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):