Date: 3/11/17 6:12 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Convergence of Avian, Lunar and Human Elements
Well tonight was pretty spectacular at the Monte Vista National Wildlife
Refuge. It seems a number of photographers had realized that the moon would
be rising over Blanca Peak at the right moment when thousands of cranes and
geese would be flying past. (There is software now that can take your
location and predict the lunar rising point/direction!) It was an elbow to
elbow event as excited photographers assembled in close quarters.
(Sometimes TOO close to my tripod leg...a little space please!). Some came
from Albuquerque, one from Thailand via Taos, and one from Salt Lake City.
At about 5:30, the moon rose and shutters clicked like raindrops on an
awning. Had to chase the moon as it rose and watched for approaching birds.
Click click click at 7 frames per second. I almost expected to see camera
motor drives start smoking! (Well not really but it was wild). When all was
said and done, I think most everyone captured an image to remember. The
birds flew by the rising moon, with Blanca Peak in the background and nice
softy light on the foreground meadows. It was a spiritually lifting event
no doubt. I will post a few to my zenfolio webpage when I get them
downloaded.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO