Date: 3/11/17 5:19 pm
From: <whimbrelbirders...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET 3/11 Whimbrel Birders Club trip and Crabtree NC
WHIMBREL BIRDERS CLUB TRIP

Our day started at Air Station Prairie. Right from the start, we saw many Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles. We walked down one of the many paths finding sparrows, American Robins, and an unidentified falcon/Accipiter. From there we drove south to Lake Glenview. At the lake, we found a flock of 15 Red-breasted Mergansers, 4 American Coots, a Common Goldeneye, Canada Geese, and Mallards. Our last stop was Techny Basin where we found some Killdeer, Mourning Doves, and a Cardinal attacking his own reflection in a window.

photos at https://whimbrelbirders.org/2017/03/11/march-11-wbc-trip/ https://whimbrelbirders.org/2017/03/11/march-11-wbc-trip/

CRABTREE NC

After a fairly short Whimbrel Birders Club walk, I decided that we should check Crabtree NC on the way home. We walked up to the nature center to look for the Harris's Sparrow that was seen there last week. Outside the nature center, there were 80 to 120 Red-winged Blackbirds with a few grackles mixed in. Also, at the nature center, we found Dark-eyed Juncos, Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, American Goldfinches, Mourning Doves, and a few Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers. Now for some better birds. Our next stop at Crabtree NC was Lake Crabtree, where we found Canada Geese, two Gadwall, Mallards, about 30 Green-winged Teal, a few Bufflehead, a group of about 15 Hooded Mergansers, some Common Mergansers, Ring-billed Gulls, and a Merlin flyover.

photos at https://whimbrelbirders.org/2017/03/11/olivers-birding-blog-crabtree-nc-3112017/ https://whimbrelbirders.org/2017/03/11/olivers-birding-blog-crabtree-nc-3112017/

Oliver Burrus
Birding in Cook county today

Join us on Facebook!