Date: 3/11/17 5:05 pm
From: Brooke Miller <idbirds...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Coyote Lake and San Felipe Road, Sat Mar 11, 2017
Hi all,

Today was my first time visiting Coyote Lake since all the rain. I was pretty shocked at just how much water there is! At the dam the CANYON WREN, ROCK WREN, and WOOD DUCK continue. There were many NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS flying low in the spillway, some of them landing in the holes on the sides. I’m not sure what this means, but maybe possible nesting spots (?). Flying above were at least 8 WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS, VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS, a GOLDEN EAGLE, and a COOPER’S HAWK. ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS were singing everywhere!

Then we headed across Canada Road to Jamieson Road. It’s beautiful out there, lots of green, but no spring migrants yet. There were plenty of YELLOW-BILLED MAGPIES, however.

Down on the Santa Clara County side of San Felipe Road, off 152, I checked for Lawrence’s Goldfinches and Cassin’s Kingbirds between about 2:00 and 2:45. I didn’t detect either there yet.

Good birding!
Brooke Miller
San Jose

<*> Your email settings: