Date: 3/11/17 3:46 pm
From: Clifford Cathers <cacathers...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ:03/11/17:TAS Field trip Tubac
I led the Tucson Audubon Society Field Trip this gorgeous Arizona morning
to the Tubac Anza Trail first south of the bridge, then north from 7:30 AM
to 11:30 AM. It was much quieter than expected and earlier in migration
than I had hoped, despite the leafing cottonwoods and late spring
temperatures. We only tallied 41 species by my count. LESSER GOLDFINCHs,
BEWICK'S WRENs and CHIPPING SPARROWs represented about 90% of the avian
biomass we saw today.

Highlights were two COMMON BLACK-HAWKs that took off from the cottonwoods
where the river bends away from the highway about 250 yards south of the
wastewater plant. They circled low overhead, gave stunning satisfying
looks and floated northward on warm southerly breezes.

A single HAMMOND'S and a very cooperative sunlit DUSKY FLYCATCHER were nice
studies. VERMILION FLYCATCHERs were abundant and bright. BROAD-BILLED
HUMMINGBIRD numbers reached ridiculous proportions (60-75 likely) and were
perched atop a mesquite at every bend in the trail.

We saw one pioneer LUCY'S WARBLER and the flood of WHITE-WINGED DOVEs has
begun, but we saw no Elegant Trogon, no Summer Tanagers, no Bell's Vireos,
no Ash-throated Flycatchers and no Hooded Orioles. A few fleeting glimpses
of Gray hawks may have been had by some, but the circling screaming matches
will likely start very soon. With continued warm temperatures, the
migrants can't be far away.

Clifford A. Cathers
<AZCliffy...>
Vail, AZ