Date: 3/11/17 1:53 pm
From: Jeffrey Short <bashman...>
Subject: Best Management Practices for small arms firing ranges
I ran across a couple of documents from the Interstate Technology Regulatory
Council relating to our discussions a week or so ago on lead ammo.
Wildlife exposure to a variety of contaminants-especially lead-is a concern.

http://www.itrcweb.org/Guidance/ListDocuments?TopicID=26
<http://www.itrcweb.org/Guidance/ListDocuments?TopicID=26&SubTopicID=25>
&SubTopicID=25

Please note that these best management practices relate to ranges that will
accumulate large amounts of lead and other contaminants associated with
shooting at targets. The levels across the landscape during roaming-hunting
will not be as concentrated as at a firing ranges. (For what it's worth,
the remote firing ranges I have used in Arkansas would probably have high
environmental contaminant levels of concern and I have not observed any BMPs
at those sites.)

Remediation of firing ranges can be a costly affair. Using ammo that does
not create unnecessary contamination is a more cost-effective alternative.

Apologies for cross-posting to members of all three listservs.

Jeff Short

Join us on Facebook!