Date: 3/11/17 1:24 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lake County-Waukegan Beach & Harbor & N.Pt. Marina Then Cook Co-Techny North Sat 3-11-17
Hello Bird People,

Arrived at Waukegan Beach in time to see Brian S leaving but Bob E had
seen the W.W. Scoters reported by Beau & Co. The Scoters were at the
end of the pier but the waves were high & we only saw 3 of the 5
reported. Saw little else so Bob & I checked out Waukegan Harbor next.

Waukegan Harbor (7:15-8 a.m.)

Horned Grebe (9)
Canada Goose (18)
Mallard (8)
Goldeneye (1-M & 2-F)
Common Merganser (2-M)
Red Breasted Merganser (25-30)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (Total = 40)
Coots (4)
Saw 2 Chickadees in a parking lot tree & a Meadowlark flew across Sea
Horse Dr on the way out.

Saw no waterfowl from the office bldg deck at IBSP South Unit. Bob did
a quick check at IBSP North Unit & saw 3 P.B. Grebes on Sand Pond.

North Point Marina (8:45-10:30 a.m.)

For the 2nd Saturday in a row there were over 300 gulls on the boat
docks & in the water. Bob's target for the day was Iceland Gull & any
of you who have birded with Bob know that when he has a target he
doesn't give up easily! I was happy to pick out 1 adult THAYER'S GULL
but 70 min after we started about 15 gulls began to fly & among them
Bob picked out an adult ICELAND GULL. We tried for a longer look from
the south side of the harbor but could not re-locate the Iceland Gull
which disappeared into the mass of Herring Gulls. While here we also
saw:

Canada Goose (14)
Redhead (9)
Lesser Scaup (1-PR)
Greater Scaup (1-M, probable)
Bufflehead (2-M & 4-F)
Goldeneye (6-F)
Coots (4-5)
Ring Billed (~25) & Herring (~300) Gulls
And the above mentioned THAYER'S (1) & ICELAND (1) GULLS
We heard 2 calling Sandhill Cranes but did not see them.

After lunch & on my way home I stopped at Independence Grove where I
was unable to see one single duck in the water. There were Geese on
the lawns & a few gulls flying around & that's it.

Back in Cook County I stopped at Techny North where I seldom see any
other birders but today we ended up with 6 birders! Birds seen were:

Mallard (~40)
Green Winged Teal (30-31)
Gadwall (1-PR)
Pintail (1-F, still here now for about 3 weeks)
Shoveler (13-M & 3-F)
Lesser Scaup (7)
Bufflehead (1-M)
Shorebirds were Killdeer (3) & Snipe (5)
(My 1st day in 2017 with more than 1 species of shorebird. May there
be many more!)
Ring Billed Gull (3)
Soaring above were 3 Red Tailed Hawks & in a nearby tree was the male Kestrel.
Birder Jack had seen the female earlier so the pair continues.

As Bob H mentioned it was a cold start to the day with it being 17
degrees at the start & although it warmed up later that was offset by
increased wind so you felt cold anyway.

Bird-Of-The-Day to Bob's Iceland Gull &
Runners-Up to the Thayer's Gull & the White Winged Scoters.
Lots to look at today! I had 13 species of ducks for the day..

Al Stokie
Mostly in Lake County today with a short stop in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: