Date: 3/11/17 1:12 pm
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Tufted Duck Continues @ Ankeny Pintail Marsh
No one responded to my query last week regarding this. After my post on the
5th, I did find an ebird report stating they saw white undertail coverts.
I think that locks it in as a female. Would still love to hear why folks
are calling this a male.

The bird seems to like to stay far from photographers. If it just entered
its second year, a good view would show worn juvie feathers if it is a male
that seems to be in a very late molt cycle, if I am reading things right.

I get confused why Pyle describes Juv-HY/SY birds Oct-Sep, then in next
section describes AHY/ASY birds, not sure why the AHY is in that section,
seems to be covered by the SY in first section. Those with the book might
feel my pain, those without delete or ignore this. I understand the first
section covers birds in their first cycle, the next is later cycles, but
not sure why he would need to throw the AHY part in there. Anyway, I think
Pyle says the males should be getting increasingly purple, black and
whitish after November. Reeber seems to say a SY male in March should be
looking like a full on adult except for a few juvie feathers and would be
in a formative plumage?.

I need a sunny day. Hope to bird the beach tomorrow.

Bob Archer