Date: 3/11/17 12:46 pm
From: Jesse Laney <jessealaney...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Tufted Duck Continues @ Ankeny Pintail Marsh
Great question, Alan. I observed what appeared to be slightly light
(gray-ish) colored sides on the bird when it was at the surface
between dives, however the distance was substantial and it was
constantly diving. None of my photos through the scope are helpful
either. We also did not notice any white at the base of the bill, but
from what I understand females don't always show white. I thought
immature male was the general consensus, so I'm open to hearing the
thoughts of experts!

Cheers,

- Jesse A. Laney
Corvallis, OR

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...> wrote:
> So is this quacker an imm. male or a female? Experienced observers seem to disagree.
>
> Alan Contreras
> Eugene, Oregon
>
> <acontrer56...>
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

>> On Mar 11, 2017, at 12:23 PM, Jesse Laney <jessealaney...> wrote:
>>
>> A group of 8 OSU Bird Nerds and a couple of folks from Willamette
>> University located the Tufted Duck this morning at Ankeny NWR's
>> Pintail Marsh. It was diving constantly at the far end of the marsh,
>> so spotting scopes were a necessity. Immature male, resembling female
>> LESC with no white at base of bill. Brownish overall, slightly lighter
>> colored sides. Diving frequently at far end of the marsh. Other
>> highlights included lots of Tree Swallows and Violet-green Swallow,
>> Dunlin, and Lincoln's Sparrow.
>>
>> - Jesse A. Laney
>> Corvallis, OR
>> POST: Send your post to <obol...>