Date: 3/11/17 12:04 pm
From: KELLY K <tripacct1...>
Subject: [Va-bird] More early migrants at CM Crockett Park
I headed out to Germantown Lake this morning hoping to find a FOY Tree
Swallow. Got there about 8am. A frigid 28 degrees with black ice in the
parking lot, I wasn't expecting much. The Ruddy Ducks and at least one
Bufflehead were on the far side of the lake as they have been almost
everyday this winter.

New arrivals for 2017:

I spotted a Common Loon (alternate plumage) in the middle of the lake. Then
suddenly a mass of Tree Swallows swooped down over the lake... and as they
went to the right side of the lake they broke apart so I could see them
individually. I counted 67 although there were possibly a few more! They
flew low over the lake back and forth.

On my way out of the park, I spotted a Chipping Sparrow foraging on the
ground of the farm right at the gate. Tried to get a photo but my iPhone
took a super poor shot.

The coldest weather days are best for birding this popular park. Bad
weather usually means few visitors and less maintenance/construction by the
park staff. Hoping for more early migrants.

Kelly Krechmer
Fauquier County