Date: 3/11/17 8:47 am
From: Howard Wu <howiewu1...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Sully Woodlands shrike and other birds
Hi, all:

This morning I took a walk at Sully Woodlands in Fairfax County again,
between 7:45AM and 9AM.

I was immediately greeted by a few singing Eastern Towhees (FOS for me),
although I did not get a good look at them. One would later perch in front
of me to let me get some good shots.

The Northern Shrike -- it was still here! Amazingly, if it stays for
another 10 days, it will have stayed the whole season! I first saw it in
the burned field, and just when I was about to leave, it flew to a tree
right next to the barn, allowing me the closest viewing of it to date. It
was very vocal today, singing and chirping, the first time I heard it
singing (although other birders reported this before). This also reminded
me that despite its viciousness, it is still a songbird.

I walked around the woodland. Notable observations are: a raucous mob of
crows were making loud noises in the northwestern corner of the field, but
I could not see what the commotion was about. I did see a couple of
Red-shouldered Hawks flying out of that spot. A small flock (maybe 2-5) Fox
Sparrows were seen in the field. I also saw a singing Field Sparrow. Most
abundant are Song Sparrows, some singing.

Rather depressingly, when I was leaving, I saw a feral cat moving into the
bushes near the entrance.

You can see some of my photos on the rolling update site below:
http://www.travelerathome.com/2016_10_shrike/2016_10_shrike.html

Cheers,
Howard Wu
Herndon, VA