Date: 3/11/17 4:59 am
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch 03/10/17
Ron Morris Park, Tubac, AZ March 10, 2017
8:00am - 1:00pm

The day started with a rare Stuart Healy sighting - another birder making the trek over from the Sierra Vista area. ( Stuart’s prodigious record keeping and
use of reports on this list is the reason I place the dates in both the subject and body of my post. Though I’m sure he would appreciate a more consistent format! )

We quickly amassed a crowd of 50+ birders. As I looked back at the group from my truck, I noticed the perfectly straight line of front row chairs with 6 newly arrived hawk watchers from Corpus Christi who with stalwarts Bob & Jo Creglow and Christie Van Cleve formed a Maginot Line for north bound raptors.

It’s an odd day at the park when you tally 7 Black Hawks before you spy a single vulture. The first Black Hawk skidded low over the river trees at 9:20. 7 Black Hawks later at 10:18 the first Turkey Vulture appeared.

A Zoned-tailed Hawk made a photographer pleasing pass near the park fulfilling many birders' latest request before joining 3 Black Hawks in a mixed kettle over the north woodlot.

Late morning entertainment was supplied by a distant Golden Eagle being harassed first by a Peregrine and then a Raven.

Migrating Raptors:

Common Back Hawk 12
Zone-tailed Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Turkey Vulture 29
Golden Eagle 1

Peter Collins
Vail, AZ
(who in my haste to catch up on posts and get to the park on time, failed to include this signature in my last post)