Date: 3/10/17 9:27 pm
From: Tommy DeBardeleben <debardelebentommy...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ: Highway 77 Common Black Hawks on Gila River (10 March 2017)
Hi Everyone,

I've been birding Gila and Pinal Counties a lot more this year, especially
Gila. My adventures today took me many places, mainly the Pinal Mountains
and many areas along Highway 77 south to Winkleman.

Most noteworthy were 5 Common Black Hawks along a short stretch of the Gila
River that was probably about 5 miles. There were two pairs of two and
then a single bird. These locations were Winkleman Flats Park, The Shores
Recreation Site along the Gila River, and then I saw another hawk sitting
solo just south of the Christmas Recreation Area along the Gila River.
Most of these Black Hawks were sitting right along the Gila and Pinal
County Line, which straddles the middle of the Gila River. All 5 were in
Pinal at one point, and three were in Gila.

The Pinal Mountains were fun too. Broad-tailed Hummingbirds are starting
to arrive, Fox Sparrows were common and were singing. I also got to see
two Chihuahuan Ravens at the dump, thanks to the helpful directions of the
king Phoenician Kingbird.

Good Birding,

Tommy DeBardeleben (Glendale, Arizona)