Date: 3/10/17 2:45 pm
From: Tony Leukering <00000005faa06247-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [BRDBRAIN] Palm Warbler Habitat Stuff - Summary
Daniel et al.:

My experience with Palm Warblers in Florida (and elsewhere) is that Yellow Palms are typically found in somewhat open pine forest and other relatively xeric forested habitats in high relative abundance, but can be found in many other habitats, but in much, much lower numbers (where they are greatly outnumbered by Western Palms) and in greatly varying numbers from year to year. Western Palms, however, are found in great numbers in relatively open habitats, whether mesic or xeric, but can be found in forested habitat, too (though in much lower densities than in more-open areas). Considering the relative dearth of appropriate habitat for Yellow in developed areas of the state, it doesn't surprise me that the form is somewhat rare in such places (though not at all entirely absent). I have also noted here and, particularly, in Cape May, NJ, that the migration timing of the two subspecies is slightly, but noticeably different, with Yellows preceding Westerns in spring and succeeding them in fall.

It is important to know that the Yellow Palm breeding range is considerably smaller than that of Western Palm and barely, if at all, reaches Ontario. This great difference has a huge impact on many facets of the ecologies and distributions of the two subspecies, particularly on migration range and overall abundance. One most also note that the migration range of Western runs, generally, well east of the Rockies and that the form does not winter in Middle America (except for small numbers in the Yucatan, tiny numbers in Panama, and even fewer along the Gulf coast of Gulf-coast countries). Thus, as can be seen from the eBird winter map

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/palwar?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=12-2&bmo=12&emo=2&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2017

the primary winter range (darker purple) of even Western Palms is in the southeast US and the northern Caribbean.

I checked the Birds of North American Online account

and noted that my assessments and those of others here match those of the BNA account.

Migration:
"Subspecies exhibit temporal and spatial differences in migration. Yellow Palm Warbler migrates slightly earlier in spring than Western Palm Warbler and slightly later in fall.... The earlier spring migration of Yellows may reflect a more advanced phenology along their typical migration route, the Coastal Plain, compared to the western, inland routes of the Western Palm Warbler (see below); perhaps also an earlier breeding season."

Habitat in winter:
"In central Florida, the two subspecies were found to differ in habitat use: Western Palm Warbler outnumbering the Yellow Palm Warbler almost 3:1 in mesic (wetter) habitats, while this ratio was reversed in xeric (dryer) habitats (Poole et al. 2005)."

These differences provide the rationale for me to report Palm Warblers to subspecies in eBird whenever I possibly can, and I encourage others to do so. However, beware that there are 'tweeners and that even Westerns in alternate plumage can be fairly yellow below.

Tony

Tony Leukering
Largo, FL
http://cowyebird.blogspot.com/