Date: 3/10/17 2:39 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (09 Mar 2017) 8 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 8 63 63

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 15:30:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Spease, Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
Visitors (6): Howard Campbell, Kathleen Pileggi, Ed Murphy, Carol Spease,
Linda Thomas
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (0-10% cloud cover), Temps 48-60F, Winds West 15-25 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ It’s just before 9am. I’m pulling into the Bucktoe Creek
Preserve driveway. An adult Bald Eagle is soaring high overhead…..a great
start, right? I’m on time, It’s warm out, buttered bagels from Wawa on my
lap, a warm cup of their coffee in my good luck mug – life is good. Hey,
wait a minute… just WHERE IS my coffee!? Darn it! I left it at Wawa. I’d
forget my name were it not for my nametag. Now, I can make coffee on site
in my field drip coffee maker, but replacing the mug and it’s inherent good
luck?? No way; can’t do that! So, it’s back to Wawa for me….and maybe
another bagel? The mug safe at hand, my van strategically parked as a wind
shield, my eyes drifted skyward…. A few Red-tails, A
Red-shouldered….somehow no Sharpies or Cooper’s today. And alas, no repeat
on the previous two days’ very close, cooperative Ravens….. A first,
though….a Mockingbird was at our bird bath.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Ring-billed Gull, 4-Horned Lark,
8-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.48; Steps: 10,514; Floors:
26.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 36; this season: 54
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks, and in fact, it was - cancelled. SNOW!! I will be
back on Saturday, March 11th. It will be cold and windy....again.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine…, but not snow!
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):