Date: 3/10/17 2:24 pm
From: Janis Stone <janis49...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Question re Chickadee at Huntley Meadows, Alexandria
While birding at Huntley Meadows Park yesterday, I encountered a chickadee feeding which looked somewhat different than normal Carolina Chickadees. While I'm pretty sure (maybe) it's a Carolina Chickadee, it looked larger than normal, had significant white streaking on its coverts and tail edges, and showed somewhat buffy underneath. Also the white on the cheeks go all the way back to the nape. Which *could* indicate a Black-capped or hybrid. Or maybe not. I know we're just south of the normal range for Black-capped, but someone reported one here last fall. Can anyone give some insight into this? What I should be concentrating on for ID, given what we can see here? :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nature-flics/albums/72157677859349523

- Janis