Date: 3/10/17 1:46 pm
From: <bobdolgan...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET South lakefront and Calumet region 3/10
I took a trip to Jackson Park and points south (Big Marsh and Eggers Grove) this morning. Bobolink Meadow and adjacent waters were quiet, but I found good numbers of Aythya species (Lesser Scaup and Redhead) continuing in the west harbor, along with a lone male Hooded Merganser.

I proceeded south to the Lake Calumet area and Big Marsh, where I found 11 Mute Swans along Stony Island, however no Tundra, unless it was the sole bird that kept its head tucked under its wing. Highlights there were 61 American Coots, 33 Gadwall, 8 Northern Shovelers and 2 Bufflehead.

At Eggers Grove, I encountered 250+ Ring-necked Ducks in the big wetland adjacent to the Toll Road, as well as 5 American Wigeons, 7 Gadwall and 4 Bufflehead. I also flushed 4 male Wood Ducks from a flooded area in the woods. Land birds included Hairy Woodpecker, Fox Sparrow, White-breasted Nuthatch and Song Sparrows, which were abundant today.

Bob Dolgan
Chicago
Cook County

Join us on Facebook!