Date: 3/10/17 1:10 pm
From: John and Sue Gregoire <khmo...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Fox Sparrow stopover
In 31 years here we have never had Fox Sparrows in numbers greater than one, rarely
two, stay more than a day or two spring and fall. As of today we have had three FOSP
now here for an extended stopover of two weeks!

As a side note, we ceased passerine banding operations here after Fall 2012
migration with some 125,000 birds banded since 1986. Amazingly, we are still seeing
a few banded birds as they return "home". Species include BC Chickadee, Tufted
Titmouse (the BCCH a migrant, the TUTI a local), Red-winged Blackbird, Common
Grackle, Song Sparrow (all migrant) and a local male Red-bellied Woodpecker. The
latter has to be at least 8 plus years of age while the former species all at least
in the 5 plus year area.

We are curious if others who reported FOSPs this year are also experiencing the
extended stay???

--
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists