Date: 3/10/17 1:05 pm
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Hawkeye WMA this AM, 3-10-17 (Johnson County)
Birders,

Dean Hester and I went out to Hawkeye WMA this morning with the hopes to
get him Harris's Sparrow. We eventually found the continuing bird along
James Ave, which was a lifer for him. We ended up with 55 species on a
very brisk and windy morning.

Highlights:

-nice mixed blackbird flock near the Harris's Sparrow location, with
multiple Rusty Blackbirds; there was one nice male in breeding plumage,
although just a very small hint of rust still on the wings

-14 duck species with a single Blue-winged Teal at Gun Club Ponds, an
influx of Wood Ducks was noticed

-seven species of sparrows including the Harris's, several Fox Sparrows and
a single White-crowned

-two Tundra Swans were continuing at Round Pond, along with several
Trumpeters; also a large mixed geese flock at Round Pond with about 85%
Greater-white Fronted, lots of Snow and a few Ross's Geese

Perhaps the best thing was an American Woodcock we flushed off the side of
James Avenue while looking for the Harris's. We didn't get any pictures
unfortunately, but got some good looks!

We could not find a Mourning Dove to save our lives!!!!!!!

Good birding,
Brandon Caswell
Marion