Date: 3/10/17 12:08 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Cook County-Return Of The Strong Winds At Montrose Point Friday 3-10-17
Hello Bird People,

Although not up to the Wind Tunnel levels earlier this week today's
N.W. winds were strong enough & combined with the cooler temps it made
for a uncomfortable day outside. This was most obvious while covering
Montrose Harbor & the Dunes area but it was more wind protected while
doing the Magic Hedge area. Here's my day site list:

Montrose Harbor, Hedge Area, Lawns & Dunes (7:15-9:45 a.m. & another
short visit at 11:15 a.m.)

Canada Goose (43)
BLUE (SNOW) GOOSE (1 seen at 11:15 a.m. but not earlier just like last time)
Mallard (6 in harbor & 20 on the lawns)
WHITE WINGED SCOTER (1 in harbor but not easy to locate)
Bufflehead (2-M in the harbor & 1 more in the lake)
Red Breasted Merganser (about 200 in the harbor & another 150 in the lake)
Horned Grebe (20 in the harbor & harbor mouth plus 6 more in the lake)
Coot (4-5)
Ring Billed (~60) & Herring (6) Gulls
Rock Pigeon (5-6 on lawns)
Crow (only 2 today)
Chickadee (4-6)
Robins (10-12)
Starlings (~25)
Cardinal (2-M & 1-F)
Tree Sparrow (3 in the Dunes)
FOX SPARROW (2 continuing in the small tree & shrub area)
Song Sparrow (1)
SWAMP SPARROW (1 in the Dunes with the Tree Sparrows, FOY)
Junco (only 2)
Red Winged Blackbird (~10)
Grackle (5-6)
House Sparrow (12-15)

North Pond (10-10:45 a.m.)

Canada Goose (18)
Wood Duck (1-PR, 1st female seen in 2017)
BLACK DUCK (1-PR, getting late for Black Ducks)
Mallard (39)
Ring Necked Duck (1-PR)
Red Breasted Merganser (1-M)
(The 2 resident large white ducks continue)
Ring Billed Gull (4-5)
Red Bellied (1) & Downy (1-M) Woodpeckers
Chickadee (4)
W.B. Nuthatch (2)
Robins (4-6)
Cardinal (2)
FOX SPARROW (1)
Song Sparrow (2 together)
Junco (8-10)
Red Winged Blackbird (8)
House Sparrow (25-30)

Took a quick look in & around Diversey Harbor but the only bird of
interest was a male Wood Duck in with the Mallards & Canada Geese.

Best birds seen today were the White Winged Scoter & the Blue Goose
but both have recently been award winners so today Bird-Of-The-Day
goes to the FOY Swamp Sparrow which may never have been top bird
before & today is it's best chance.
Runners-Up to the above mentioned Blue Goose & White Winged Scoter.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Montana seen as I walked to my parked car.
Runner-Up to one from Nevada which was seen earlier. The plate motto
on the Montana plate said "The Treasure State" which I had not
remembered as being their motto?

Al Stokie
In Chicago today once again dealing with strong winds

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: