Date: 3/10/17 7:45 am
From: mary hrudkaj <mch1096...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Swans overwintering in Elma area

Braving the constant rain in southern Grays Harbor on Thursday morning and early afternoon two of us headed out to check on swans in the Elma and Montesano areas. Our total count was around 250 divided between the Wenzel Slough area and Brady Loop roads. The largest group was in pastures along Brady Loop with approximately 150 spread out over several acres just south of Hwy 12 as the east ‘entrance’ to the loop. It was raining too hard and the birds were too far away in most instances to differentiate between trumpeters and tundras if there were any at all. The fields have more water in them than I’ve ever seen at this time of year. Water fowl numbers were very low with only handfuls at any one place. We didn’t even try for any smaller bird due to the weather. We did see one bedraggled bald eagle over some prey along a wet area on Wenzel Slough Rd.

Mary Hrudkaj
Belfair/Tahuya