Date: 3/9/17 8:33 pm
From: Thomas Fiore <tomfi2...>
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Central Park, & Bryant Park Lincoln's, Manhattan (& spring-a-ling, Kings Co.-Prospect Park), 3/9
Topping 60 degrees today, Pine Warbler has arrived in Prospect Park,
Brooklyn (Kings Co.), and Eastern Bluebird added yet more color to
that park - these species seen today by Brooklyn birders. ;-)

------------
Revisiting my Bryant Park (Manhattan) sparrow question - there are
photos that unequivocally showed a Lincoln's Sparrow wintering in
Bryant Park, midtown Manhattan-
thanks to those who responded (off-list and on); I knew that other
keen observers saw Lincolnís, but I had not seen aII of their photos
(now I have, and found another of my own that's just ok for ID) - so
I'd seen the bird as weII, but not most recently or another time in
Iate Feb - & now wonder if it has survived.

- - - - - - - - -
Thursday, 9 March, 2017
Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

A Red-headed Woodpecker continued just west of East 68th Street within
Central Park, that sighting reported from Ken Chaya for this afternoon.

Eastern Phoebes - harder to find for me today; locations today, Turtle
Pond, near sw part of reservoir, and in the loch.
Black-crowned Night-Heron - 2, by west shore of lake.

More blossoms on trees, shrubs, forbs - some Forsythia just beginning,
but more important for those kinglets, gnatcatchers, warblers and
other insectivores (when they come) are the many deciduous trees of
multiple species now with ripe buds, and some now in flower. Insects
of many species have been seen, by those seeking or not, and many are
earlier than expected.

Other avian species noted - 3/9/17:

Pied-billed Grebe - 2 (reservoir)
Double-crested Cormorant (various locations)
Great Blue Heron (the Pond)
Turkey Vulture (2)
Canada Goose
Wood Duck (the Pond, Meer)
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail (drake , The Pond)
Bufflehead (25, reservoir)
Ruddy Duck
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
American Coot
Ring-billed Gull
[American] Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Yellow-shafted Flicker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Eastern Towhee
[red] Fox Sparrow - (1)
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow (fewer)
Dark-eyed Junco (fewer)
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle (1,000-plus)
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

---------
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you
know for sure that just ain't so.
[Mark Twain]

good birding, and thanks to those respecting all wildlife and other
park users.

Tom Fiore,
manhattan

ARCHIVES: