Date: 3/9/17 5:53 pm
From: Elias B. <ebbornhofft...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] Cape Elizabeth GHOW
Very late in posting this, my apologies.

For the last two Mondays and this past Tuesday there has been a pair of GHOWs calling for quite consistently for 3-4 hours. They seemed to be periodically moving locations from one grove of older white pines to the next. It's interesting the distance travelled during this sort of courting. I would estimate that these two travelled a half mile or so maybe more. There location, generally speaking was towards the beginning of shore road behind town hall and the recycling center and then down shore road, at times crossing shore road and traveling to the fringes of Robinsons woods meets the property lines.

This is the first time I have heard and seen GHOWs in Cape (not uncommon though seen in Sprague land and I heard wisperings of a GHOW in the Robinson Woods II tract. I have had good luck with Barred Owls, across CE and with the big broods last year some first years teetered with dire realities. Fortunately for them that the winter has been as it has.

Also, two weekends ago I came across a winter wren along the edge of upper pond cove. What special treat. Lastly, after establishing a designated mealworms feeder station we now have 4-5 Bluebirds who 1st show up a little past dawn who chirp and chase each other for a better part of the day.

Elias