Date: 3/9/17 3:46 pm
From: Tom Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Northern Kettle Moraine State Forest and Sheboygan County Ponds
There were not a lot of birds to be seen in the Northern Kettle Moraine
State Forest today, at least along the scenic drive.
3 Eastern Bluebirds were seen from the parking lot for the New Fane Trails.
Mauthe Lake had a couple of Bald Eagles.
I had Jim Edlhuber's luck today when I approached Haushalter Lane. A
beautiful Red-shouldered Hawk was perched right next to the road, only about
10 feet off the ground. It remained in the area for about 5 minutes. The
Red-shoulders return every March, so there are probably others in the
forest, but none were calling today, so I felt quite lucky with this
sighting.
Spruce Lake Bog, northeast of Dundee had 12 Hooded Mergansers, 12 Wood
Ducks, and 56 Ring-necked Ducks among a few others. This caused me to go
back to the car and retrieve my scope so I could enjoy these beauties!
Southwest of Sheboygan Falls there are flooded fields along CTH N between
CTH I and Humphrey Road. This was the best waterfowl spot of the day with 21
Tundra Swans, 60 Snow Geese, 19 Greater White-fronted Geese, 1 Ross's Goose,
and at least 9 species of ducks. The Risseuw Road ponds had 102 Redheads, 15
Northern Shovelers, and 5 Canvasbacks. Hoitink Road had more Tundra Swans, a
Snow Goose, and several Greater White-fronted Geese.
Driving home from here through Ozaukee County, I noted that 2 Rough-legged
Hawks and a few Kestrels are along Six Mile Road. Meadowlarks have returned
with 2 confirmed-by-song Easterns, and 1 distant unidentified meadowlark at
Schwengel WPA where Bill G. had 2 Western Meadowlarks earlier in the year.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County