Date: 3/9/17 3:23 pm
From: Eugene J. Scarpulla <ejscarp...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Rare Birder Alert: Nico Sarbanes!
Several years ago, I compiled a list of Maryland birders who listened to
jazz. The file has long since been lost, having been on a previous
computer. So, I'm posting this to the MD/DC Birding group to reach the 15
or so of us who were on the list. Recently, Marcia and I attended the
Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival in Rockville so that we could see 23-year old
friend and Maryland birder Nico Sarbanes and the Nico Sarbanes Quintet.
(Yes, Nico is the birder who first reported [without optics, I might add]
the Brown Boobies at Baltimore's Inner Harbor.) What an incredibly talented
performer! Marcia and I thoroughly enjoyed the evening, as well as
reconnecting with Nico. Besides being a talented musician, he is also an
accomplished song writer. His song "Somethin' fo' Smitty" is a tune that I
originally thought was a jazz standard. I was awed to find out that Nico
had written it. He has just released his first CD: Nico Sarbanes: Live in
Baltimore. He and his group play at various venues in the
Baltimore/Washington area. If you get the chance, go see Nico, this time
holding his trumpet instead of his binoculars. You can find out more about
Nico and his music at http://www.nicosarbanes.com/.

Gene Scarpulla

Editor, The Maryland Entomologist

Editor, Maryland Birdlife